"The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with the faith to fight for it"
Aneurin Bevan

Monday 28 July 2014

I Want Personalisation Not a PHB

I have multiple long term conditions, one of which is hypothyroidism - my thyroid does not produce enough thyroxine and I have to take a replacement dose in tablet form. I take 175 micrograms in three pills 100mcg, 50mcg and 25mcg:


From the bottom upwards the dose increases, doubling each time. There is a clear danger here, while I know that the smaller strip is 100mcg, it is easy for me to mistake the 50 for the 25. Overdosing on thyroxine can have detrimental effects on the heart.

When I open a new box of pills, I personalise it:


Clearly, the best solution would be for the manufacture to print the dose in big numbers on the front (as opposed to the current situation of printing it in tiny numbers on the low contrast back).

Will a personal health budget deliver this? No.

Firstly, personal health budgets (at the moment) do not apply to medicines. This is a bit silly since people who have a PHB cannot use the money to pay their prescription charges. Yes, that's right, people can spend a PHB on reiki or some other nonsense that does not work, but they will not be allowed to spend their PHB on the government imposed sickness tax that is called prescription charges. As PHBs are rolled out to more people we will see cases where people will not take their prescribed medicines because of the cost of prescription charges, but will be able to buy ineffective "alternative" medicine with their PHB. Madness.

Secondly, and most importantly, I am an individual and drug companies do not listen to me. Giving me a PHB will not make the drug companies any more likely to listen to me. Indeed, the only way that the drug company will take any notice is if I accidentally take an overdose and die - at that point they may consider changing their packaging, if my death can be attributed to it. However, the drug companies will listen to the NHS, since the NHS represents a market of 50 million people in England. So if the NHS wants drug doses printed on the front of blister pack strips, it would happen.

People who have PHBs are effectively removing themselves from the NHS since they are purchasing healthcare rather than the NHS purchasing healthcare for them. In this example, under the current rules, medicines will still be NHS responsibility, but nevertheless the same principle applies: a PHB turns patients from part of the collective NHS into isolated individuals with less influence.

I really do want personalisation, but a personal health budget will not give it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment